Essque Zalu Zanzibar is an intimate boutique destination nestled in a natural cove on the island’s north-eastern coast overlooking the Indian Ocean. Choose from 40 suites, all with picturesque views over the lush tropical garden or the ocean turquoise blue.
Ensconce yourself in luxurious-styled spaces crafted from local materials, adorned with native artwork and housed under a traditional pitched Makuti roof. If you need extra space to spread out, try one of our 9 villas. Stretch out in the spacious living room, rustle up a snack in your own kitchen, laze on the terrace overlooking the garden or just chill in the privacy of your very own plunge pool. Once you’re comfortably installed,you can chooseto restore your physical equilibrium in one of six exclusive spa treatment rooms, stroll along the water’s edge, or inspire yourartistic leanings in the gallery filled with art from the local and regional artistic community. If you’refeeling peckish, you can satisfy your tastebuds with a choice of three distinctive restaurants.
Our Navigators are on hand from the moment a booking has been made and will guide you through your stay. They’ll see to your every wish however big or small. So if you take a liking to a piece ofartwork, they’ll arrange for you to bring it home! Or if you need help with an activity plan, just call them for some in-the-know suggestions.
At Essque, even the smallest things come with a big dose of personalisation, here are just some of the things our guests can expect at no extra charge:
- Meet and Greet Check-in and out from anywhere in the resort
- Private vehicle transfers Information, advice and pre-booking support
- Complimentary resort-wide wireless internet connection
- Room turndown, as and whenrequested Flexible breakfast timings
- Dine in your suite or villa or in one of our three distinctive restaurants.
- Pay for what you drink, not by the bottle as standard.
- Committed to the Environment. We are committed to the Environment, ethics are non-negotiable.
The expansive Makuti roof is made from locally sourced, sustainable materials Excavated rock and stone has been reclaimed for use in the foundations and walls of the hotel. The hotel’s design supports reduced energy consumption through natural ventilation for coolingSolar panels are being utilised to generate hot water throughout the resort. The resort has its own Sewerage Treatment Plant allowing our landscaped grounds to be irrigated, using reclaimed water. Our infinity and plunge pools are salt chlorinated, (not from seawater) which is far more economically friendly than using traditional Chlorine products. Insulation on flat roofs. On-site organic vegetable garden Handmade items from the local community adorn the resort and are sold in our gallery and boutique.
- A spa with flexible treatment times
- 450 m²gallery space housing permanent, exhibited and saleable works from the local, regional and international artistic community
- Multiple meeting rooms in innovative locations, including a 80 m² facility -72 theatre style, 30 people dining
- A multi-colour lit infinity pool is our extension to the ocean
- A dedicated Kids’ Club will keep little ones highly entertained for hours
- Access to Ras Nungwi village on foot at low tide Three distinctive restaurants and threewell-stocked bars
- Private dhow sail boat access.
At Essque Zalu Zanzibar, we welcome you to create your own personal paradise, your own kind of luxury, an experience of a lifetime.
Rooms. Choose from 40 individual suites and 9 villas all with picturesque views over the lush tropical garden or the ocean turquoise blue. Our suites offer a luxurious-styled space crafted from local materials, adorned with native artwork and housed under a traditional pitched Makuti roof.
If you need extra space to spread out, try one of our nine expansive villas ranging from 185m2to 343m2, each extend over two floors and offer two to four bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms.
Stretch out in the spacious living room, rustle up a snack in your own kitchen, laze on the terrace or justchill in the privacy of your very own plunge pool.
Once you’re comfortably installed in either our suites or one of our villas, make the most of our in-room amenities; pick your favourite bevies and stock up your personalized mini-bar; connect back homeon our high-speed wireless internet and telephone; freshen up under a solar-heated, high pressure rainfall shower; cool down with our integrated air-conditioning system; stash away your passport and valuables in the safety-box; curl up to watch a movie onour sleek flat screen satellite TV/DVD player; then lie back on the king-sized bed swathed in 100% luxurious linens.
Garden Suites (18 rooms)–These beautiful suites offer a separate sleeping area with either a king bed or twin beds, a luxurious lounge and a bathroom with shower. Situated at the back of the resort with luscious garden views the 1 bedroom suites offer upwards of 55m² of floor space and are located on the ground floor with a terrace or an upper floor with a patio, each offering a further 10m² of outside space.
Partial Ocean View Suites (12 rooms) –Similar in configuration to the garden suites but found in the middle of the resort facing the ocean. These suites provide partial views of the turquoise blue sea.
Ocean View Suites (5 rooms) –Slightly larger than our other suites, all located on the ground floor with 58m² of floor space and a 22m² patio. Each provides a magnificent ocean view.
Seafront Suites (5 rooms)
Similar in configuration to the ocean view suites but positioned right at the front of the resort and offer unrestricted spectacular views of the mesmerising Indian Ocean.
All 5 room types are furnished with king beds only.
- En-suite bathrooms
- Lounge area
- Plunge Pool
- Massage room
- Set over 2 floors; ground and upper
- Tour the famous spice plantations -that propelled the island to the height of its trading glory
- Amble through Stone Town, the world’s oldest Swahili coastal trading city and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Browse the curios and artworks in the bazaars and markets or just mosey around the mosques and temples. If the history of rock music is your passion, you can even check out the birthplace of the legendary Freddie Mercury!
- Board a traditional wooden dhow and set sail for Prison Island, a former detention centre for the African slaves, nowadays just the spot for a sunbathe or snorkel with giant tortoises.
- If nature is your thing, chance a sighting of bottle-nosed or humpback dolphins then head south on a deep wall dive and explore the local marine life amidst world-class coral reefsLooking for a thrill? Try your hand at kite-surfing or trek the forest in search of red Colobus monkeys and the fabled Zanzibar leopard. Services24-hour Navigator service, replaces the traditional receptionFlexible breakfast timings and location enjoy breakfast in your room, by the pool or in our gourmet deli –in fact anywhere in our resort!
- 24hr “In” room dining
- Flexible drink measures, guests decide on preference and pay accordingly. No standard measures
- Room turn down at a time convenient for our guests
- Tailored mini bar to a guest’s preference.
- Mixologist and in room dial a chef at your service as and when requested
- Check in and checkout is fast and efficient, and can take place anywhere! By the pool, in one of our restaurants, in your room, it’s the luxury of choice.